Sunday, September 6, 2009

The CodeJam 5

Ok, the image doesn't look so good but the point of this post is to talk about the CodeJam 5. As many of you know Google Code Jam started this september (2nd or 3rd I don't remember) and me and my buddy ecin decided to go for it. Both of us made it through the qualifications round, we both used Ruby and that's that.

The CodeJam 5 is all the dominicans I could find in the competition (looking page by page and it would be nice if Google provided statistics by country which is why I started this post and added all 4 guys to my friend list in Code Jam), we all passed which speaks good about Dominican Republic (for a change) and we used diferent languages, one used Java, another used C++ and the chameleon known as cjoa used Perl, C++ and Python (he is ranked way above the rest and his ability to swing diferent language for diferent problems shows what I'm almost sure of that he will be the last one to get eliminated from Code Jam from the CodeJam 5).

But you maybe asking yourself, why am I talking about this in my blog? First, because I haven't blogged in a long time :) , second because it is important to growth as developers and as programmers. When I heard from ecin about Code Jam I freaked out, I thought "I'm so gonna loose in the qualifications round" so I decided to quit before even trying, after a lot of rethinking and the help from Scott W. Ventrella in his book The Power of Positive Thinking in Business I decided to give it a go, not thinking how embarassing it would be to loose in the qualifications round but thinking how much can I grow, how much can I improve, after all programming is not done in front of some IDE or text editor, programming is done with your brain.

To put it simple we all passed the qualifications round, I don't know if I'm gonna survive the next round but I will give it my best shot and see how much can I grow. Are you doing something to test your limits and surpass them?

No comments:

Post a Comment